Faulty electrical wiring or equipment and misuse of electrical appliances are usually the main causes of hazard at homes. Here are some tips for electrical safety to use electricity / appliances at home in a safe manner to avoid accidents at home:
- When not in use, unplug all appliances
- Use the correct size and ISI make of fuse
- Never replace a burn-out fuse with other materials
- If light switches or outlets feel warm to the touch, turn them off
- Avoid "octopus connections"
- Warn kids not to peep and poke at electrical outlets
- Electrical cords
- Place TV sets away from windows
- Keep small objects away from TV sets
- Only licensed electricians should handle electrical problems
Electricity is hazardous, so only qualified electrician should handle any electrical related maintenance activity.
- Visual Inspection before use
A hairdryer can electrocute you if it falls into a pail of water, or sinks in a bathtub.
Incompatibility will cause excess current to flow in electrical appliances and house wiring. This can damage electrical appliances and can also lead to fire.
Wires or other conductors will not break in case of short circuit.
Call a qualified electrician to immediately check the wiring and condition of switches.
Overloading might occur if multiple cords are connected to outlets designed for only one or two plugs and can lead to burning of supply socket.
Shield exposed outlets with detachable plastic cover plugs to avoid electrocution specially, which can easily be touched by kids.
Extension cords should be used only when necessary and for temporary use only. It is not a substitute for the permanent or fixed wiring.
Keep all electrical cord away from areas where they may be pinched, such as off the floor, out of walkways, and out of doorways. When possible, move the electrical appliances closer to the outlet.
The extension cord should never be stapled or nailed to the surface.
The appliances should be unplugged by removing the plug and not by pulling the cord.
Rainwater, if it enters the TV housing will cause electrical shock. Also, avoid placing vases, drinking or wine glasses on top of TV sets. The TV set should not be covered with a cloth / plastic cover when it is on. This can lead to sustaining of heat inside the TV set, which may damage the set.
Paper clips, nails and other small metal objects are conductors of electricity. They will cause electrical shock.
Do not use any appliances or extension cord that shows signs of damaged insulation or exposed wiring. To ensure safe operation, all electrical equipment should be visually inspected before they are used.